Monday, November 15, 2010

John Dye, The Make-up Guy




After meeting and talking to John Dye about my own make-up, I wanted to spread the word about John to give you an idea of why the Megan K. Events team can't wait to work with him!
Natalie: Megan K. and team are so excited about the upcoming events you are hosting together, such as the Pumps party and the Megan K. Extreme Makeover, what else will you be working on together?
John: Bridal makeup, bachelorette parties, any type of event that women want to look their best. I'm really looking forward to doing the makeover for the Megan K. Extreme Makeover winner. 


Natalie: How would you describe your philosophy for make-up?
John:  I would say that looking your best is not just about the product, it’s the technique. Just because you spend a lot of money on make-up doesn’t mean it's going to make you any more beautiful than a less expensive product.  

 
Natalie: What are some constant rules of thumb?
John: If you are going to do a smoky eye, do a nude pink glossy lip. Don’t be afraid of fake eyelashes; try to learn how to put them on yourself. It baffles me that women will try so many different things with their hair -- cut, dyed highlighted and shaped, but women are so reluctant to change their make-up routine. Skill comes with trying then perfecting new things.

Natalie: You recently were a part of Extreme Makeover Home Edition, what was it like working for them?
John: My friend was the hair stylist for the crew members.  I went out to join her and the Extreme Home makeover crew. Immediately I hit it off with Tracy Hudson. She invited me to come do her makeup and was so sweet; I had so much fun fixing her up.  As usual, I didn’t use the most expensive makeup and she was super cool about it. She said, "As long as you know what your doing and it looks good, I don’t care what you use, I trust you." She loved her makeup. It’s so cool that I’ll get to see my makeup on national television. It really legitimizes me as a make-up artist, taking something from a hobby and passion to being a legitimate celebrity make-up artist. I also enjoyed being back stage and meeting Mariah Carey;  she was a lot nicer than I expected. 


Natalie: I have heard that you are friends with with Taylor Swift -- can you tell me more about that?
John: While visiting New York, I heard that Taylor was going to be on TRL, so I sent an email saying I was a fan and asked if I could come. The approved and after I got there I argued my way into being in an on-air competition. I met Taylor and her family -- we instantly connected.  Along with doing her make-up, I got to see her on tour in a few cities in Florida and even appeared in her love story music video. I also got to shoot a popular YouTube video entitled, “Taylor and Friends,” which has gotten over 1,000,000 views on MySpace and YouTube and was in the globally distributed Star Magazine tabloid. She’s the reason I started playing guitar. She gave me my first guitar lesson on set, and now I sing and play local gigs.


Natalie: What was Taylor’s make up like?
John: Taylor has very fair skin and is very striking in person. I watched her get her hair and make-up done. She has a lot of extensions and extra tracks. She has a lot of airbrush make-up and a very dramatic cat eye to make her eyes pop. She definitely sticks to that look. 



Natalie: What do you want ladies to know about make-up services you offer?
John: I’ve started doing what I really want to do which is teaching make-up lessons. I can take women out to buy new makeup and suggest colors that best suits them. I point out the cheap must-haves; there's no reason for me to lead someone to products just because they are expensive. The best look is not dependent on how much one spends on it; it’s about the technique of the application. In addition to make-up application, I also love to teach make-up tutorial classes. I meet with a group of girls, hear what skills they'd like to learn about, and I teach them step by step how to do it. Too many times women buy expensive make-up and it just sits in their drawer. I teach them how to look their best in a non-intimidating environment. So instead of just fixing them up for one event, I’m teaching them a skill that they can use to look their best regularly
 
John will be a great fit and we can't wait to see him work his magic on our clients and brides! We are looking forward to him fixing us up and watching him in action at the Pumps holiday shopping party this Thursday, November 18. Megan K., John Dye, great food, skinny martinis (Megan's own!) and 20% off Pumps merchandise -- come join us anytime between 6:00 -- 8:00 p.m. See you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment